Your goal in this exercise is to fill in the gaps in a longer piece of text. There is just one correct answer for each gap.
You can check each answer individually using the shortcut keys (see the section Shortcut Keys for more information). When your answer is evaluated as incorrect and you do not know why, always check whether you have used correct punctuation and capital letters where appropriate. These two things are the cause of most confusion.
Use the Control Panel at the bottom of the exercise to evaluate all the answers at once.
In all the exercises where you fill in the text into a text-box you can use the two shortcut keys described below.
- Use this key within the text-field to evaluate the current answer. You hear a sound response and in case of an error, the cursor is moved to the position of the first incorrect character within the text. This way you can locate the error, fix it and evaluate again. When you don't know how to fix an error, you can use the ‘hint’ key described below.
- This function is called a ‘hint’. It helps you in case you don't know the answer or you don't know how to fix an error in your answer. Just press the key combination (holding the Ctrl key, press the spacebar) and one letter of the correct answer will be filled in automatically. If you have already entered some text, the cursor will be moved to after the last correct character and next one will be inserted. This also means that if there is some text after the cursor, there is at least one error in it. Try to locate this error and correct it. Then you can evaluate your answer using the ‘Enter’ key (see above) or use ‘hint’ again, until you find the complete answer.
The indicator panel below the exercise shows the following values:
- Displays the number of the tasks you have already answered. For example 4/10 means, that you have answered four out of ten questions so you should finish the remaining six.
- Displays the number and percentage of successful answers. The first pair of numbers shows the results of all current answers. If you didn't answer all of them correctly on first attempt, there is also a second pair of numbers showing how many answers you did succesfuly on the first try. Use the ‘Reset’ button to start again.
The control panel below the exercise contains the following buttons:
- Evaluate the entire exercise. If an error is found, the cursor is moved to the first incorrect answer. Within a text-box, the cursor is also moved to the first incorrect character of your answer.
- Fill in the whole exercise with the correct answers.
- Reset all your answers and start again.
The Answer Sheets contain all the correct answers for all the exercises. You can access them from the Course Index, or more conveniently, you can use the ‘?’ (question mark) link after each task. This link takes you directly to the corresponding answer in the Answer Sheet.